OSMO LEARNING THROUGH PLAY FOR iPAD
Something that has been in our learning activities tool belt for a few months now is our Osmo Learning Through Play for iPad. We first started using Osmo when we got the Super Studio Disney Frozen 2 Starter Kit last year. Lila absolutely loved it. We recently added a few new “games” into the rotation and they have been a hit. After we finish our daily homeschooling lesson I let her spend some time playing with Osmo.
She can do fun activities like Little Genius Stories and Costume Party or more educational games like Little Genius ABCs and Squiggle Magic. The Little Genius ABC’s are my personal favorite. She gets to practice building letters with squishy, colorful sticks & rings. It’s learning and creativity combined.
I have been sharing about this more often and I have been getting tons of questions. Below you can find all of the frequently asked questions I have been getting. As well as multiple starter kit options depending on your kids age and interests.
Real Play, Real Learning
Use tangible pieces to create a unique, hands-on learning experience.
How Osmo works
- Put your device in a compatible Osmo Base with the red reflector over the device’s camera.
- Play with physical game pieces — draw, code, spell, and more.
- Osmo scans the table and your child’s creations come alive on the screen!
Which iPads and Fire tablets are compatible?
- Compatible iPads: All iPads except Generation 1, iPad Pro 11-inch and iPad Pro 12.9-inch. The minimum iOS version needed is iOS 9.
- Compatible Fire Tablets: 7th Generation Fire 7, 7th Generation Fire HD 8, 7th Generation Fire HD10, 8th Generation Fire HD 8, 9th Generation Fire 7, 9th Generation Fire HD 10
What do I need to play Osmo games on my compatible iPad and Fire tablets?
- A compatible device that’s connected to the internet. Osmo works with most iPads and select Amazon Fire tablets. To confirm that your device supports Osmo, please see compatibility models above.
- The appropriate Osmo base and red reflector for your device.
- If you have a compatible Fire tablet, you need an Osmo Fire base & reflector.
- If you have a compatible iPad, you need an Osmo iPad base & reflector.
The bases and reflectors are NOT interchangeable between iPads and Fire tablets.
What does Osmo do?
Osmo makes hands-on learning games in which players use objects in the real world to interact with the digital world shown on their iPad or Fire tablets.
What skills do Osmo games promote?
- Coding (Coding Awbie, Coding Jam, Coding Duo)
- Math (Numbers, Pizza Co.)
- Drawing (Monster, Super Studio, Masterpiece)
- Spelling (Words)
- Fundamentals of Physics (Newton)
- Spatial relational skills (Tangram)
- World geography (Detective Agency)
What ages is Osmo designed for?
- Most Osmo games are designed for ages 5–12.
- Monster and Super Studio are appropriate for ages 4+.
- Osmo Little Genius Starter Kit includes 4 games designed for kids ages 3–5.
There are multiple starter kit options depending on your kids age and interests. Once you purchase a starter kit you can purchase extra games by themselves. The important thing that you need is the base for your device.
Starter Kits for iPad
If you have any other questions leave them in the comments below.
XO, CELESTE WRIGHT
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? SAVE IT FOR LATER ON YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD.
*This post was made in collaboration with Osmo Play. All thoughts and opinions are my own.